Monday, July 4, 2011
“And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage:” (Galatians 2:4 KJV).
Today, 235 years ago, on July 4, 1776, the United States’ Founding Fathers declared independence from Great Britain by adopting the Declaration of Independence. We in the United States are grateful for our liberties, but there is greater news in Christ. See our freedom in Christ:
- We are free from Satan’s control! Man fell into sin and Satan’s policy of evil in Genesis 3. But, the Bible says God “hath delivered us [Christians] from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son” (Colossians 1:13).
- We are free from sin’s dominion. We do not have to serve sin. “Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. For he that is dead is freed from sin” (Romans 6:6-7).
- We are free from the condemnation of the Law. Romans 8:1 explains: “There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.”
- We are free from the bondage of works-religion! Galatians 5:1 says: “Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.” The Galatian believers were deceived by a false gospel, believing they had to work for their salvation. Hence, they were in bondage to the Mosaic Law (see today’s Scripture).
- We are free from self-righteousness. Ephesians 2:8,9 say: “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast.” We are saved by Christ’s righteousness, not ours (Romans 3:21; 2 Corinthians 5:21)!
We are free in Christ! Never let someone rob you of that freedom by forcing you under Israel’s performance-based acceptance system.