Thursday, April 16, 2015
“I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive” (Acts 20:35 KJV).
Greed says gain; grace says give!
On five occasions, the King James Bible says Jesus Christ “gave Himself:”
- Galatians 1:4: “Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:”
- Galatians 2:20: “I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.”
- Ephesians 5:25: “Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;”
- 1 Timothy 2:6: “Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.”
- Titus 2:14: “Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.”
It is human nature to be selfish; it is godly nature to be altruistic. Man has the spiritual makeup of his spiritual father, Satan—he wants to do what he wants to do. What can I get out of life? How can I gratify my desires? Me, me, me!!! Take, take, take!!!
Jesus Christ has the spiritual makeup of His Heavenly Father—He wants to do what His Father wants Him to do. How can I best glorify My Father? What can He get out of My life? “Not my will, but Thine be done!”
In stark contrast to us sons and daughters of Adam, the Lord Jesus was not selfish. His Heavenly Father was not selfish either. Oh, how they both gave!!! Father God gave up His Son and His Son gave up His life! This is true love, seeking another’s highest good at your expense. When we walk by faith in God’s love to us, God’s love will cause us to give to others (2 Corinthians 12:15).