Saturday, June 25, 2011
“And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel” (Genesis 3:15 KJV).
Today’s Scripture is the first reference to the coming of the Messiah, the Lord Jesus Christ. Here, Scripture says He will be a man, a descendant of Adam and Eve. The Old Testament goes on to make hundreds of prophecies regarding Israel’s Messiah. In fact, Jesus Christ fulfilled 332 of those prophecies during His First Advent.
Here are some rather incredible prophecies fulfilled in Christ’s life (notice how specific they are):
- Son of Abraham (Genesis 12:3 cf. Matthew 1:1).
- Son of Isaac (Genesis 17:19 cf. Luke 3:34).
- Son of Jacob (Numbers 24:17 cf. Matthew 1:2).
- Son of Judah (Genesis 49:10 cf. Luke 3:33).
- Son of King David (2 Samuel 7:12-16 cf. Luke 1:32).
- Born in Bethlehem-Judaea (there were two Bethlehem’s) (Micah 5:2 cf. Matthew 2:1).
- Mother was a virgin (Isaiah 7:14 cf. Luke 1:26-35).
- Betrayed by a friend who ate bread with Him (Psalm 41:9 cf. John 13:18-27).
- Rejected by His own people (Psalm 118:22 cf. Acts 4:10,11)
- Sold for 30 pieces of silver (Zechariah 11:12 cf. Matthew 26:15).
- Smote on the head/face with a reed (Micah 5:1 cf. Matthew 27:30).
- Given vinegar to drink (Psalm 69:21 cf. Mark 15:36).
- None of His bones were broken (Exodus 12:46 and Numbers 9:12 cf. John 19:36).
- He would die by crucifixion, predicted centuries before crucifixion was invented! (Psalm 22:16,17 cf. John 19:37).
- Buried in a rich man’s tomb (Isaiah 53:9 cf. Matthew 27:57-60).
One author calculated the mathematical probability of all 332 prophecies being fulfilled in one man’s life. His answer was astronomically high:
In other words, 1 in 8.4 x 10^(98)! Wow! Can you imagine a number with 97 zeroes?! When Jesus Christ came to Israel, they should have recognized Him. Him fulfilling all those Old Testament prophecies should have caught their attention. Unfortunately, they could not care less.
One Man fulfilled all those prophecies… one (God)-Man!