Thursday, July 26, 2012
“What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin” (Romans 3:9 KJV).
God’s Word proceeds to describe mankind, exposing him as the bestial creature that he naturally is….
In verses 10-12 Paul quotes Psalm 14:1-3 (Psalm 53:1-3). From verses 13-18, he continues to quote the Old Testament to describe mankind as wicked:
- Romans 3:13: “Their throat is an open sepulchre [tomb]; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps [snakes, vipers] is under their lips:” (Psalm 5:9: “For there is no faithfulness in their mouth; their inward part is very wickedness; their throat is an open sepulchre; they flatter with their tongue.” Psalm 140:3: “They have sharpened their tongues like a serpent; adders’ poison is under their lips. Selah.”) Mankind is a liar!
- Romans 3:14: “Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:” (Psalm 10:7: “[The wicked, verse 2] His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and fraud: under his tongue is mischief and vanity.”) Mankind is a sly blasphemer who is angry with God!
- Romans 3:15: “Their feet are swift to shed blood:” (Proverbs 1:16: “For their feet run to evil, and make haste to shed blood.” Isaiah 59:7a: “Their feet run to evil, and they make haste to shed innocent blood:…”) Mankind is a murderer!
- Romans 3:16: “Destruction and misery are in their ways:” (Isaiah 59:7bc: “…their thoughts are thoughts of iniquity; wasting and destruction are in their paths.”) Mankind destroys everything he touches and produces misery!
- Romans 3:17: “And the way of peace have they not known:” (Isaiah 59:8: “The way of peace they know not; and there is no judgment in their goings: they have made them crooked paths: whosoever goeth therein shall not know peace.”) Sinful mankind enjoys fighting (James 4:1)!
- Romans 3:18: “There is no fear of God before their eyes.” (Psalm 36:1: “The transgression of the wicked saith within his heart, there is no fear of God before his eyes.”) Mankind is haughty and irreverent!
Frankly, we humans are troublemakers!